Saturday, August 17, 2013

Time to say Goodbye

(Discursul meu la plecarea din Londra, UK Bank business)

"Remember that feeling when you get more than you expected?
People normally tend to forget how it feels in time if they get it daily…it becomes the expected, and then it is taken for granted and the amazingness of that feeling just dissipates into a daily routine. We call it business as usual.
However, I can still remember that there are other places in this big company where business as usual does not come with a “Good morning”, or does not end with “Enjoy your evening”. Elsewhere, I have seen people who did not have a smile (at least not at work). People who would continue looking at the screen when someone would address a question to them and this impression of “I’m busy, do not disturb” would permeate the entire floor. They were not mean people; they were frustrated, stressed, and unhappy…with the unhealthy environment that they were promoting themselves voluntarily or not.
Having experienced an environment like that in the past I crouched my expectations when I joined this role. I expected little as I did not know what to expect. And what I have received here makes it so-so difficult for me to part today.
I had a GREAT manager to whom I am immensely thankful. Gavin always, absolutely always made time for me in his busy diary. He has this invaluable skill of explaining things in a very simple and straightforward manner, bringing examples that give life and story even to a dry and highly conceptual topic. He never assumed I knew “things” if they have not been previously discussed or explained. Always positive, I could feel his smile and warm attitude even through the phone. Although I definitely got things wrong sometimes, I cannot recall one single time we had an unpleasant conversation. Thank you for making this role so enjoyable and interesting for me!
My immediate team, Andy and Ryan – my mornings would not have started so brightly without you! You were always kind, helpful and I terribly enjoyed your good humour! Thank you a lot, I’ll miss your company!
All Finance team and everyone I worked with during these 6 months – I appreciate the time you spent with me, making yourself always available (even Zoltan did), I appreciate your friendly and responsive characters. Thank you for this healthy environment! You are a great team to join!
Rajesh – I met CFOs before, but I did not have the chance to know them…somehow they were either located in a room far away from the team, or too busy which is, of course, absolutely normal for a CFO. Therefore I was very pleasantly surprised to find out how “human” and close to the team you are. I will miss seeing you walk down the aisle in the evenings asking everyone how they were, what they did. Thank you!
I will miss you all! Thank you for reminding me how this it feels to work in a great team!
I do not do pubs, but I collect hugs instead :)
There are cakes by my desk, please help yourselves!
Good bye and Good luck!"

No comments:

Post a Comment